Saturday, July 9, 2011

"Letters to a Young Poet" - Author: Rilke

My old publisher gifted me with this book, and I have bought so many copies for others, that I’ve lost count! This is one of the first books I ever read that left me feeling understood as an Artist. I’ve read it several times over the years, and each time I hear something new. This story is made up of 3 years worth of correspondence from the famous poet Rilke to a young ‘wanna-be’ artist seeking advice.


One of my favorite passages is:


“I want to thank you for the great confidence you have placed in me. That is all I can do. I cannot discuss your verses; for any attempt at criticism would be foreign to me. Nothing touches a work of art so little as words of criticism: they always result in more or less fortunate misunderstandings.”



HELPFUL HINT: When you buy this, you better just go ahead and buy two copies, because if you lend this book to other Artists, you will never get it back. I have probably bought over 15 copies myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment