Saturday, July 9, 2011

"The Alchemist" Author: Paulo Coelho


One of my favorite books, The Alchemist, written by profound writer Paulo Coelho, is a beautiful fable about following your dreams. I love this book with all my heart and often give it as a gift whenever possible.

This is the story of a boy who sets out on an incredible journey based on a vision he sees in a dream. On his path, he meets many spiritual messengers, who come in unassuming forms, that guide him to his ultimate destiny.

A couple of my favorite lines that stuck in my mind were:

“My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer,"

the boy told the alchemist one night as they looked up at the moonless sky.

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.

And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams."


“The boy and his heart had become friends,

and neither was capable now of betraying the other.”


Interesting little side note: One of my clients has had the privilege of building a friendship with Paulo Coelho. I have learned that even his text messages are just as profound as his books!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about this book. I have been postponing reading it - but I shall begin tonight! :)

    I found out that Pablo has a FB page - and he IS very profound in his short little postings :) http://www.facebook.com/paulocoelho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline -- I'm so glad that this inspired you to read "The Alchemist!" It's funny that I had the book for a few years, before I ever read it. But when I did, it was the perfect message for me. I trust the timing will be perfect for you as well.

    ReplyDelete